Major Milestones in ProsthodonticsMay 29, 2023 11:36 pm
Dentistry dates as far back as 7,000 B.C. As you can imagine, this long-standing medical field has made significant leaps and bounds over thousands of years. Dentistry has many branches that are dedicated to specific aspects of the smile.
Prosthodontics is the branch of dentistry that focuses on the restoration and replacement of missing teeth. The first sign of prosthodontics was around 700 B.C. Since then, there have been gradual advancements and discoveries until the field has become what we know today.
- 700 B.C. – The Etruscan civilization utilized gold bands to help stabilize loose teeth.
- 3000 to 2500 B.C. –The Egyptian civilization used gold wire to hold teeth and prostheses in place. They would create replacement teeth with gold and ivory.
- 1400 to 1600 A.D. – The creation of dentures using ivory and human teeth took place during this time period.
- 1728 – Pierre Fauchard, known as the father of modern dentistry, crafted a more modern set of dentures.
- 1855 – Charles Goodyear invented the use of vulcanized rubber. Vulcanized rubber made dentures more durable and comfortable.
- 1904 – Charles H. Land created the first official dental laboratory, which helped further revolutionize dental prostheses.
- 1938 – Oral surgeon, Per-Ingvar Branemark, discovered a biocompatible titanium that could fuse with the jawbone and began to test the material.
- 1952 – Porcelain-fused-to-metal was found to create stronger, more durable dental crowns and restorations.
- 1960s – Acrylic resin was introduced and found to be the best material for dentures because it was more comfortable and less heavy than previous models.
- 1965 – Per-Ingvar Brånemark placed the first dental implant into a human jawbone.
- 1980s – Dentistry entered the digital era with CAD/CAM technology that could help digitally design and fabricate dental prostheses and restorations.
- 1990s – Dental implant technology and techniques became more sophisticated and advanced.
- 2000s – Digital dentistry took a huge leap forward with the introduction of 3D printing, intraoral scanners, and more accurate digital planning software. This evolution helped prosthodontics become faster, more precise, and more specialized.
Your Trusted Prosthodontist in Harrisonburg, VA
The prosthodontic field has experienced a dramatic evolution of materials, techniques, and scientific breakthroughs over time. At Rockingham Prosthodontics, we aim to provide the most up-to-date, state-of-the-art treatments and materials for our patients. If you’re in need of restorative dental care, we can help you regain a fully-functioning smile that is healthy and beautiful. Please contact us to schedule a consultation!
Image from Authority Dental under CC 2.0